Eggs are the most versatile of ingredients, and I often place them as the cornerstone of nutritious recipes. Simple, easy to cook and the gentle taste to make anyone happy. Today I experimented with the classic Parsi dish of Papeta par Eeda which literally means eggs (eedu) on potatoes (papeta), but wanted to cook the dish in a healthier way, packing more substance. It’s easy to make and almost takes no time. So let’s get started –
Ingredients: ( serves two, though if you like it, always remember- “Joey doesn’t share food” )
- Eggs 2 nos
- Boiled Potatoes 2 medium sized
- Onion 1 big
- Tomato 1 big
- Garlic 5-6 cloves
- Cumin Seeds
- Button Mushrooms
- Bell Pepper 1/2
- Beans 5-6
- Coriander Leaves chopped
- Lemon juice 1/2 tbsp
- Green Chili 2
- Rock Salt, Red chili powder, Black pepper, Turmeric powder 1/2pinch
- Olive Oil (preferred)
- Cut the beans, bell pepper, mushrooms into dices and set to boil. Once boiled strain the water and set aside.
- In a large (somewhat big) pan, heat some olive oil and add cumin seed and green chili cracked in half.
- Press flat and slice garlic and add to the pan.
- Add chopped onions and season with little salt and red chili, sautee till golden brown for 6-7 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, again same salt and red chili accordingly, and cook till tomatoes are almost done and goes mushy.
- Add mushrooms, stir for 2 mins. Then beans and bell peppers and stir for another 3-4 mins.
- Now add the boiled and diced potatoes in it on low flame. Add pinch of turmeric powder, salt, red chili and pepper.Splash little water for the potatoes to soak them. Add 1/2 tbsp lime juice. Stir well and let cook for 5-6 mins.
- Now keeping heat in low flame, make two spaces and add little olive oil. Crack two eggs in the spaces and make a nice sunny side up in medium flame. Sprinkle some salt, red chili on the egg and turn heat off.
- Garnish with fresh chopped coriander leaves and serve with roti/ brown bread.
I am sure you will lap the dish up real fast. Hope you will enjoy cooking it as much as I did. Would love to listen to your feedbacks and queries. Do check out my zomato profile www.zomato.com/chakravortys and insta profile @flavorsforsoul to follow my food journey.