Let’s cook something out of the book. A chicken preparation not usually available in your recipe books. Generally while cooking, i consult numerous recipes online of the same dish, taking pointers from each before finalizing my method. This is one such experiment which remains one of my favorites. I call it the Indo-Sindhi fusion chicken.
- Chicken (500-600gms)
- Potato 2-3 medium
- Tomato 2
- Onion 3
- Tomato Puree
- Bay Leaves
- Vegetable Oil
- Cinnamon stick 3-4, Black Cardamom seeds
- Ginger Garlic paste, freshly made
- Green Chilies
- Red chili powder, Roasted cumin powder, Garam Masala powder
- Turmeric powder (pinch), Salt to taste, Coriander powder
- Blender’s Pride 2-3 caps ( Yes, the whiskey!)
For the marinade:
- Wash the chicken and using a knife make long slice marks in each piece cutting into the flesh.
- Grind 1 medium sized cinnamon stick with few pods of black cardamom seeds together into a coarse powder.
- Wash and peel the potatoes, cut them in 4 and put them together in the marination plate with the chicken.
- Sprinkle in tbsp red chili powder, salt, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, cardamom and cinnamon powder and 2-3 caps of blenders pride whiskey on the chicken and potatoes.
- Mix well with hands and set aside 30-40 min for resting.
- In a pressure cooker, sautee bay leaves and cinnamon stick in oil.
- Add freshly made ginger garlic paste and green chilies. Cook till raw smell dissipates.
- Add chopped onions, a dash of salt, turmeric and red chili powder and cook till golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and stir. You may need to add some water in small quantities as after cooking tomato releases some oil itself.
- Add chicken and potatoes to the cooker, keep heat in low flame. Season with salt, red chili, coriander powder, and water for gravy and cook on medium flame.
- Cover lid and let cook for few mins.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of tomato puree (optional), roasted cumin powder, pinch of garam masala and chopped coriander leaves and stir. Mix well allowing to cook.
- Check for final water for gravy, salt for taste and then Lid on for one whistle.
- Let steam release by itself. Serve in a bowl hot along with steamed rice.
I hope you will enjoy cooking it as much as I did. Would love to listen to your feedbacks and queries. Do check out my zomato profile www.zomato.com/chakravortys and insta profile @flavorsforsoul to follow my food journey.