Chicken wings are my all time favorite starters. Sometimes all I would have with my beer are juicy and sticky wings with a hot dip or sauce. This is the first time I cooked chicken wings at home and after lot of online research decided to take the experimentation next level, braising the wings with Coca Cola. This style of cooking is immensely popular in China, though I had never had it anywhere in India before.
My recipe is inspired a lot by Chef Maggie’s, from where i got a lot of pointers and tweaked them with my own to satisfy Indian palette. The technique is simple, you do not have boil or marinade the chicken before the braising. One important thing to keep in mind is to balance the heat. Coke is sweet, and caramelizing it leaves behind the sugar which can make the wings overwhelmingly sweet. To cut the effect I used chilli peppers while heating, and red chilli powder and white pepper while braising the chicken. So, lets get started with the cooking.
- Vegetable Oil
- Chilli Peppers
- Spring Onion ( Chopped for frying and garnish )
- 10 pieces Chicken wings
- 3 slices Ginger
- 2 cloves peeled and chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp Light Soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- Red Chilli powder, White and Black pepper powder& Salt to taste
- 300 ml Coca Cola
- Wash the chicken wings, and then dry them by kitchen towel to remove the wetness as much as you can.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium flame. When oil is warm, add chicken wings slowly, skin side down. Grill until the bottom side turns golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip wings and fry the other side until golden. Stop heat and transfer chicken wings to a plate. Keep aside and save the oil for further cooking.
3. Place wok over medium high flame and heat it. When hot, add the earlier saved oil from the pan and heat it ( add little more oil if required ) Adding too much oil should be avoided to cook the chicken with its own fat. Carefully lift and swirl the wok to coat uniformly with oil and turn to medium flame.
4. Add the chilli peppers and cook for few seconds till dark. Add the sliced ginger and chopped garlic. Cook till the aroma starts coming. Add the chopped green onions and fry them. Add the chicken in slowly and stir few times to coat with the now fried green onions. Add dash of red chilli powder and salt and cook for a while.
5. Add the light and dark soy sauce, and then gently pour the coca cola and keep stirring. Increase flame to high and boil the sauce continuing to stir. As the sauce starts to boil lower the flame to start shimmering. Now add sprinkles of red chilli powder, salt, black and white pepper powder and mix well. It is advisable to taste the sauce couple of times while shimmering to make sure the sweetness isn’t overwhelming. Keep coating the sauce uniformly on the wings as the sauce thickens. keep shimmering for 20 minutes, and take care not to burn the chicken as the sauce keeps reducing.
6. Carefully transfer the wings to a plate and garnish with green onions. Serve hot.
I hope you will enjoy cooking it as much as I did. Would love to listen to your feedbacks and queries. Do check out my zomato profile www.zomato.com/chakravortys and insta profile @flavorsforsoul to follow my food journey.